Child & Migrant Services (CMS) is located at 721 Peach Avenue, Palisade, about 12 miles east of the City of Grand Junction. Palisade is most famous for peaches but the wine industry is growing. During the peak season, over 1,200 farm workers and dependents reside in Mesa County. The majority of these workers are from Mexico, but there are others from all over the world. Some are here for a portion of the year and others are settled in the area. CMS is about a community of farm workers, growers and others who are drawn to the mission of CMS.
Child & Migrant Services (CMS) is a 501 (c)(3) non-profit organization – EIN# 84-0831830 that serves migrant and seasonal farmworkers and their families in Mesa County, Colorado. CMS is located in the town of Palisade, a charming small community nestled in the midst of beautiful orchards and vineyards.
CMS is the vision of three women who, in 1954, began to dedicate their lives to this great work. Their efforts started around a kitchen table and led to the mobilization of local churches to provide food, clothing and other items to meet basic needs of farmworkers.
CMS still provides assistance with basic needs, as well as social and educational activities. CMS offers information and referral to community resources and helps farmworkers to access medical and dental services.
Through this website you will get a glimpse of the lives of migrant and seasonal farmworkers in Colorado, their contribution to Western Colorado’s economy and how much CMS means to them.
The Hospitality Center, where CMS is housed, is a welcoming community center. It is a resource center and an oasis for those who have traveled far to work in the fields and orchards of Western Colorado.
- Basic Needs: provide hot meals (during the harvest season), job-related assistance, coaching (of life skills) showers, translation, transportation and referrals; make available various donated items (non-perishable food, clothing, personal care items, household goods, etc.); accompany workers to special appointments.
- Social and Educational Activities: provide English instruction, computer activities, regular social functions, and educational workshops.
- Emergency Assistance: provide translation, emotional and financial support.
- Health and Wellness Program: Connect workers to medical and mental health services. Provide emotional support and education on health-related issues.
- Other on-site service providers
- Migrant Ministries Community Thrift Shop (year-round)
- Representative from Colorado Legal Services Farmworker Division (summer only)
DROP-IN hours at the CMS office are Monday through Thursday, from 12 to 6 pm. At other times, it’s best to make an appointment. Please call and leave a message at (970) 464-5226 or email [email protected] to set up an appointment.
Occasionally we must briefly close the office during our regular business hours in order to assist clients off site, or for other purposes.
LOCATION: The Hospitality Center at 721 Peach Ave. in Palisade.
CMS is on FACEBOOK:
El Centro de Hospitalidad/Child & Migrant Services
Email: [email protected] or through this website.
Correspondence: PO Box 1038, Palisade, CO 81526. Mail sent to our street address is usually returned to sender by the Post Office.